Providence, RI – United States Attorney Peter F. Neronha announced today that Assistant United States Attorney (AUSA) Terrence P. Donnelly will lead the efforts of his Office in connection with the Justice Department’s nationwide Election Day Program for Rhode Island’s Primary on Tuesday, September 13.
- AUSA Donnelly has been appointed to serve as the District Election Officer for the District of Rhode Island.
- AUSA will be responsible for overseeing the District’s handling of complaints of election fraud and voting rights abuses in consultation with Justice Department Headquarters in Washington.
- The Department of Justice has an important role in deterring election fraud and discrimination at the polls.
- Federal law protects against such crimes as intimidating or bribing voters, buying and selling votes, impersonating voters, altering vote tallies, stuffing ballot boxes, and marking ballots for voters against their wishes or without their input.
- It also contains special protections for the rights of voters and provides that they can vote free from acts that intimidate or harass them.
- To report suspected election fraud or voting rights abuses at the polls in Rhode Island, the United States Attorney’s Office can be reached by the public at (401) 709-5068.