Philadelphia, PA – On Tues. Sept. 13, President Obama visited the City of Philadelphia for perhaps his last visit to Philly as President of the United States in an effort to campaign for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
- An estimated 6,000 people gathered by the Philadelphia Museum of Art to catch a glimpse of the President.
- Obama ridiculed Trump over his recent praising of Vladimir Putin, comparing Putin to Saddam Hussein as far as “sky high” poll ratings.
- “This is not reality TV – democracy’s not a spectator sport, you don’t tweet in your vote. America’s not about ‘yes, he will,’ it’s about ‘yes, we can,” Obama said. “You can’t stay home because, you know, ‘Yeah, she’s been around for a long time.”
I keep on reading this analysis that Trump’s got support from working folks. Really? This is the guy you want to be championing working people? The guy who spent 70 years on this earth showing no concern for working people? – Barack Obama
- Obama asked if anyone can imagine Ronald Reagan idolizing someone like Putin
- President Obama did remind the crowd that he had a tough fight against Clinton eight years ago – “This is not me just going through the motions here: I really, really, really want to elect Hillary Clinton president. Sometimes folks are kind of surprised by that because they remember, ‘Man, you guys had a tough fight eight years ago.”
- Obama compared running against Clinton in 2008 like “climbing up the ‘Rocky’ steps,” which were just a few hundred feet away. “Every time I thought I had that race won.. I was like going up the Rocky steps. I was about to celebrate then I look and she’s right there!” (Photo depicting President Obama imitating Rocky)
- “You want to debate who’s more fit to be president? One candidate has traveled to more countries than any other secretary of state has. Has more qualifications than any candidate in history. And the other who isn’t fit in any way shape or form to represent this country abroad or to be its commander in chief,” Obama said.
- Obama mentioned that if America wants a candidate with transparency – we have one candidate in this race who’s released decades’ worth of tax returns. However, transparency might not have been the best choice of words given the recent email scandal.
- Overall, President Obama delivered a remarkable speech which captivated both Republicans & Democrats. However, protesters were seen across the street.
Check out photos from Young Constituents’ photographer Krystal Spencer here.