Friday, September 18, 2020
Friday, September 18, 2020

Kenneth Clair: Man convicted in 1984 Santa Ana murder pushing for new trial
K

Your Content is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published.

“I am innocent. I didn’t commit this crime,” Clair said, speaking from inside the Theo Lacy jail in Orange. “That’s all I wanted: My day in court”

Clair is off death row. In 2015, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals found the death penalty could not be fairly imposed on him. His defense attorney Julian Bailey admitted his penalty phase trial work in 1987 was incompetent.

- Advertisement -

Last week, Clair filed a motion for a new trial, alleging prosecutors withheld scientific test results that could clear him.

In the past, prosecutors said, they have provided the defense with everything they’re entitled to. More than 160,000 people have signed an online petition seeking Clair’s freedom. But the victim’s daughter, Kristy Rodgers, now 38, says: “He claims he’s innocent and I don’t believe that. … My mother’s murder was brutal.”

Kristy Rodgers, then just a little girl, was among five kids in the Santa Ana home during the murder. She lived there with her mom’s friend Peggy Hessling-Wise, Peggy’s boyfriend at the time, Kai Henrickson, and her kids.

- Advertisement -

Hessling-Wise discovered the body.

“I pushed open the door and there was like red stuff… it was blood splatter,” said Hessling-Wise. “I started to get up on the bed…and she was right there.”

Rodgers was bound, gagged, beaten, stabbed and strangled. Hessling-Wise’s son, Jarrod, just 5 at the time, was the only alleged witness.

Jarrod, now 37, originally told police the killer was white. He told Eyewitness News he saw a white man with Rodgers the night of the murder, but that man left and a black man entered the home and killed Rodgers. However, his descriptions changed numerous times over the years and he was not called to testify at trial.

Court documents indicate no fingerprints, no blood could tie Clair to the scene.

“No DNA links Kenneth to the case,” said C.J. Ford, a private investigator who’s been trying to clear Clair’s name for more than a decade.

Prosecutors confirm DNA taken from Linda’s body, tested in 2007, did not match Clair. The defense continues to request his name, even though a judge in 2011 denied the release of his identity. “It’s an innocent man. An innocent man has privacy rights,” said Orange County prosecutor Dan Wagner.

Prosecutors say at the time of the murder, that man was 11 years old and living outside the United States.

Prosecutors admit that none of the man’s older relatives were tested or investigated. “They were found to have no connections to Orange County. And because it’s a single genetic marker it’s a very common genetic marker,” Wagner said.

Ford said: “Give me all the discovery, which should give me the DNA results. The defense can investigate further because Kenneth Clair’s DNA is not anywhere on the crime scene.”

Clair claims he was targeted from the start. Then a 25-year-old transient, he admits he was staying at a vacant house next to the victim’s place. He also admits burglarizing the home the week before, but insists he didn’t kill Rodgers.

“The most damning physical evidence that links Clair to the crime scene is his possession of jewelry that was stolen,” said Wagner. That jewelry includes a unique silver turquoise necklace belonging to Hessling-Wise. She told police it was taken the night of the murder. Clair’s girlfriend Pauline Flores told detectives Clair showed her the necklace the same night. She references it while secretly recording Clair for Santa Ana police in 1985.

The motion for a new trial is expected to be heard Friday. Re-sentencing is scheduled for Jan. 13.

(Copyright ©2017 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Protect Independent Journalism

Your Content is a nonprofit newsroom that produces nonpartisan, evidence-based journalism to expose injustice, corruption and wrongdoing.

Spearheading the news revolution for Americans across the nation, Your Content has brought a voice to those the media failed to acknowledge.

This story you’ve just finished was funded by our readers and we hope it inspires you to make a gift to Your Content so that we can publish more reports like this one that holds people in power to account and produces real change.

Your donation will help us ensure that we can continue this critical work. We are busier than ever covering stories you won’t see anywhere else.

Philly Man Who Held Three Minors Age 13 and Older Captive in TRAP HOUSES Gets 45 Years

The sex-trafficked minors were said to be held captive in 'trap houses' throughout the city of Philadelphia for years.

Prison Guard RESCUED by 3 Inmates After Nearly Dying in Puddle of His Blood

AUTHORITIES have thanked an entire wing of inmates after they came to the rescue for an officer in grave need of medical...

St. Petersburg Police Yet to Allocate Single Cop to Help Search for Missing Florida Mom and Daughter

Family members from both sides exclusively told Your Content police have yet to help them trace the duo’s steps.

Guardian Angels Join Search for Missing Florida Mom and Daughter, Local PD Assign Single Officer

Guardian Angels have joined the search for missing Florida mom Angela Jolley and her daughter Alexis as St. Petersburg Chief allocates lone cop.

Heavy Police Presence at Home of Missing Mom and Daughter Who Vanished from St. Petersburg

Police in Florida are swarming the home of Angela Jolley and her daughter Alexis six days after vanishing from St. Petersburg without a trace.

Arrest Imminent: Cops Believe They’ll Solve Florida Lake Massacre In Less Than 7 Days

Authorities are zoning in on key locations and claim they are less than 7 days away from cracking the case in Lake Streety, Florida.

$30,000 Reward Offered in Florida Fishermen Massacre Investigation: Sheriff

AUTHORITIES are offering a $30,000 reward to anyone who can provide information leading to the arrest of the person or persons who...

FBI Join Search in Florida for Potential ‘Serial Killer’ Behind ‘Massacre’ of 3 Fishermen Found Dead

Federal agents are scouring Florida for a possible 'serial killer' after 3 fishermen were found murdered on a secluded road nearby a lake.

Stay Informed & Get Your Content, Daily.

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Your Content is a 501(c)(3) non-profit national American media organization of artists and journalists headquartered in Pennsylvania.