After initially saying that there were no casualties from last week’s missile attack, US officials confirmed to CNN that 11 troops were injured.
“While no U.S. service members were killed in the Jan. 8 Iranian attack on Al Asad Air base, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed,” the US-led military coalition fighting ISIS in Iraq and Syria said in a statement Thursday.
“Out of an abundance of caution, service members were transported from Al Asad Air Base, Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany for follow-on screening. When deemed fit for duty, the service members are expected to return to Iraq following screening,” the statement added.
“We corrected the record today,” Jonathan Hoffman, the chief Pentagon spokesman, told FOX News. The Office of the Secretary of Defense “learned about these injuries today and directed a statement go out immediately.”